Pages

Wednesday 6 June 2012

The cake of many proposals...


 This post could have had many titles including: 
* The best cake I have ever made
* Once you have had this carrot cake you won't go back

I even considered "The Cake that launched a thousand ships", though it is not technically true. 
I like to think many people would travel by boat to to have a slice of "my" carrot cake.

 I adapted the recipe from the Hummingbird bakery carrot cake recipe. I made the cake for my friend from work who is on maternity leave at the moment and every time she visits I make a cake. She doesn't like cinnamon and I don't like ginger so I had to improvise the flavourings. 

I ended up replacing the flavours with nutmeg and all spice. I also left out the walnuts. I do like walnuts but I think it they ruin the texture. (Its the same reason I don't like chocolate chips in cake)


 It is a really simple recipe really but it went down an absolute storm at work. 
5 of my colleagues proposed off the back of a slice!

200g of dark brown sugar
100g of caster sugar
3 eggs
300ml of sunflower oil
300g plain flower
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp of baking powder
I tsp of Nutmeg
1 tsp of all spice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2tsp vanilla extract
300g of carrots

I Mixed it all together and put it in a big round cake tin. 
The recipe suggests 3 cake tins but I seem to only have two cake tins one for cupcakes and one for big round cakes.

Bake in a preheated oven (175c gas 3) for about an hour (if using only one big tin, if you are using 3 tins 25 mins should suffice) 

When cooled slice into three and layer with cream cheese icing and then smother the whole cake with it.
 

 I don't care too much about the presentation of cake, as long as it tastes good I'm happy!


 And it tastes GOOooooD

No comments:

Post a Comment