Pages

Thursday 22 November 2012

#ThankfulThursday The Church of England




As I am sure most of you are aware, this has been a turbulent and trying week for the Church of England. I am not going to pretend I know the exact ins and outs of what went on in synod and the reasons behind why the vote went the way it did. But I do know that many of my non-Christian friends and colleagues think much less of the church and Christianity as a result.

The debate around allowing Female Bishops has been escalating for many years and it reached its climax at 5pm on Tuesday. It followed a day of speeches from many bishops, clergy, theologians and lay people who all felt strongly one way or another. I personally have never been too wrapped up in the debate for a couple of reasons...(I am going to be completely honest here)1. It didn't really affect me (the worst reason EVER) 2. I didn't necessarily understand myself as attached to the Church of England per se. I say didn't because my reaction and heartfelt sadness on hearing the result of the vote has made me realise otherwise.

I believe women should be 'allowed' to be Bishops for a number of reasons. But right now another debate is the last thing we need. What is important is that we remember and celebrate all of  the good in the Church and strive to love each other and show all of the fantastic vicars who happen to be female that we love, respect and value their work. (I previously wrote about the great institution that is the church here.)

This is a great blog post reminding people of the good things the church has done and is doing >> http://www.eauk.org/church/stories/10-great-things-about-the-church-of-england.cfm

 If you are interested in further reading this is a great and thoughtful response to Tuesdays events >> http://godandpoliticsuk.org/2012/11/20/women-bishops-an-honest-reflection/

Today I am Thankful for the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment