Today I am thankful that I am free.
Slavery and Human trafficking are on the rise. Many of us live believing that slavery isn't an issue for the modern world.
The A21 campaign is a charity who is fighting to raise awareness of slavery. Here are some statistics form their website:
- Human trafficking is the second largest global organized crime today, generating approximately 31.6 billion USD each year. Specifically, trafficking for sexual exploitation generates 27.8 billion USD per year.
- There are 1.39 million victims of commercial sexual servitude worldwide.
- Tragically, only 1-2 percent of victims are rescued, and only 1 in 100,000 Europeans involved in trafficking are convicted.
Slavery isn't just sexually motivated. The exploitation and slavery of children is wide spread. in countries like Ghana and the Ivory coast that supply 75% of the worlds cocoa industry, child labour, trafficking and slavery are rife. (www.foodispower.org)
I know it is easy to feel overwhelmed with these figures and to believe that we can't do anything.
Here are a few suggestions to start with:
* never pay for sex.
* raise awareness - share this information with friends, colleagues etc.
* Don't deny it is happening and stay informed.
* Give money to charities that are fighting the slave trade (It is well known that the Animal charities get a much larger proportion of charitable giving than charities that fight for human rights - this in my eyes this is disgusting)
* Buy Fairtrade -Yes it may not be the answer to all the problems but by buying fairly traded chocolate, tea, coffee, cotton we are more certain that the money we are spending is not fueling the slave trade)
I know this isn't a comprehensive list, but it is a start.
For more information visit these websites: